Bird lovers, families, and hikers come and join us for bird walks along the Lehigh Valley Trail, Taylor Marsh in Honeoye, Oak Openings in Rush, Canadice Lake and Odonata Sanctuary. Geoff Gretton and Connie Kellogg, long time bird enthusiasts, will lead the walks. Identify and observe a variety of birds by song and sight.
Dates & Locations of Walks: START TIME OF 8:00 a.m.
- April 28th: Lehigh Valley Trail at Rochester Junction entrance on Plains Road. www.mendonfoundation.com.\
- May 5th: Taylor Marsh in Honeoye – A unique opportunity to explore the wetlands of Taylor Marsh and possibly see Sandhill Cranes. Rugged conditions, waterproof boots recommended. Join the Bergen Swamp Preservation Society (the owners of the property) on their annual pilgrimage. Meet at Mendon Church, 936 Cheese Factory Rd. at 7:15 a.m. to carpool or at the marsh at 7:45 a.m. www.bergenswamp.org.
- May 12th: Oak Openings in Rush – meet at the Honeoye Falls Five Points Road parking lot. https://www.townofrush.com/about-rush/area-attractions.
- May 19th: Canadice Lake – walking on the north side of the lake. Parking is at the north entrance to Canandice Lake at Purcell Road. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/25573.html.
- May 26th: Odonata Sanctuary, 20 Parrish Road, Honeoye Falls. http://odonatafarmsanctuary.blogspot.com/.
- Meet at 7:45 a.m. sharp. All bird walks begin at 8:00 am. This is the best time of day to see the birds feeding. Be sure to wear appropriate weather gear and hiking shoes. Do not forget your binoculars and camera. Grammar school children and older are invited to come. Light breakfast refreshments will be served following our first walk. Please e-mail Jaye Knight at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need directions or additional information. We look forward to meeting all of you and hope you will attend this annual educational and enjoyable event.
This is a great opportunity to add to your life list of birds.